Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title Lucy the Elephant (2)
Date 07/24/1926
Year Range from 1921
Year Range to 1930
Description This is a side view of Lucy the Elephant, a tourist attraction, that can still be visited today. Lucy is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Lucy is a six-story elephant with a howdah on her back built in 1881 and is an example of zoomorphic architecture.

This photo shows the original howdah (platform on her back). A storm in 1929 tore it off and it was replaced with a less ornate model.

You can see cars parked in front and to the side and a building in the background. The signs in the right corner of the photo say "Camping Here" and "Now open for view."

Wade labelled the negative sleeve "Elephant hotel at Ventnor, NJ," but town lines and Lucy herself have moved and she is now in Margate, NJ.

In 1926, the building to the right of Lucy (Lucy's website refers to it as the "Turkish Pavilion") was used as a hotel since it was during Prohibition. Before and after Prohibition, the building was used as a saloon/bar.
Place Margate, NJ/Ventnor, NJ
Photographer Wade, Elton H. L.
Object Name Negative, Sheet Film
Object ID 2009.1.86
Other number 104.2
Film Size 3 1/4 x 5 1/2 in.
Subjects Architecture
Bars
Building
Buildings
Buildings distinguished by form
Elephants
Historic sites
Howdahs
Lucy the Elephant
Margate (N.J.)
Museums
Saloons
Tourism
Tourist camps & hostels
Vacations
Ventnor (N.J.)
Zoomorphic buildings
Search Terms Lucy the Elephant
Margate (N.J.)
Ventnor (N.J.)
Orig/copy Original
Copyright Franklin Township Public Library
Collection Elton H. L. Wade Photograph Collection