Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title Carter School / A. T. Vroom House 'Willow Hill', East Millstone, NJ (c. 1905)
Year Range from 1901.0
Year Range to 1910.0
Description This house, located where Elm Street meets Canal Road in East Millstone, was constructed about 1855 for Andrew T. Vroom. Vroom, who came to East Millstone as a founder of the Methodist Church (next door) called his estate 'Willow Hill.' Vroom was a dealer in lime and coal, and a lime kiln and sheds were located across Elm Street by the canal. The house is one of the excellent surviving examples of Italianate architecture in the village. It was used as Maude Carter's Boarding School, 'The Carter School', for girls.

Copy of a W. W. Tetlow Real Photo Post Card
Place East Millstone, NJ
Photographer W. W. Tetlow
Object Name Photograph
Object ID 2016.1.85
Other number 0010 disk2
Subjects Carter School (East Millstone, N.J.)
East Millstone (N.J.)
Schools
Schools, Boarding
Search Terms Carter School (East Millstone, N.J.)
East Millstone (N.J.)
Schools
Orig/copy Copy
Copyright Public Domain
Collection Franklin Township Public Library Photo Archive